Myanmar : 3rd Suspected Collaborator Killed in Rakhine

A Rohingya Muslim woman ride a tricycle in a place of refuge for Rohingya.

 

Yangon, Myanmar, 29 Rabiul Awwal 1438/29 December 2016 (MINA) – A man found dead in a conflict-torn area of western Rakhine State has been identified as a Muslim who the government says had been working closely with local administrative officials, Anadolu Agency reorted.

State media claimed Wednesday that the death was the third in the last week of local Muslims who had been collaborating with authorities as they efforted to crack down on a gang who killed nine border police officials Oct. 9 in an area close to Myanmar’s western border with Bangladesh.

While Rohingya advocacy groups have claimed that around 400 Rohingya were killed in subsequent army clearance operations, the government says 76 alleged “attackers” (including six who reportedly died during interrogation) were killed and some 575 suspects detained.

Also Read:  RWANDAN GENOCIDE SURVIVOR RECALLS HORROR OF BLOODBA

The body of the man — identified as Sirazuhut from Wet Kyein village in the state’s north — was reported to have been found Monday beside a creek that runs between two villages in Maungdaw district — an area predominantly inhabited by Myanmar’s persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority.

Sirazuhut, a former village administrator who the government says had been actively working with local officials in regional development activities, had been reported missing since Dec.16.

On Sunday, another Muslim man — Rawphi, an administrator at Yae Twin Kyun village — was found dead with knife wounds, while on Friday fellow Muslim Dus Mammad, a volunteer librarian in nearby Ngakhura village, was found dead.

Also Read:  Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh Ask to be Repatriated

Rohingya groups have claimed that Rohingya — described by the United Nations as among the most persecuted groups worldwide — were raped in the military operations, which also saw some 600 suspects detained and Rohingya villages torched.

The government, however, has claimed that Rohingya torched their own homes to evoke international sympathy, and the rapes never took place.

Humanitarian outfits have called for an independent probe into the initial attacks, the ongoing operations and reported rapes and rights abuses in Rakhine, as with the area placed under military lockdown, rights groups and international reporters have been unable to enter.

Early last month, fellow Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member Malaysia heavily criticized Myanmar’s government and military over the violence, with Prime Minister Najib Razak and his cabinet referring to it as “genocide” or “ethnic cleansing”.

Also Read:  World Food Program Seeks 75 Million Dollars for Rohingya Crisis

Myanmar, however, has highlighted ASEAN’s non-interference principle in its response to countries accusing it of human rights atrocities, stressing fellow member Indonesia’s “positive and constructive” approach while criticizing Malaysia. (T/RS05/RS01)

Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)

Benja