Ankara, 4 Muharram 1437/17 October 2015 – The death toll from the twin suicide bombings that rocked Ankara last Saturday has reached 102, Ankara chief prosecutor’s office said on Friday.
The office issued a statement saying: “Today, one more citizen died at Gazi University Medical Faculty Hospital, bringing the death toll in the incident to 102.”, Anadolu Agency quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting.
According to the statement, the identities of 101 out of the 102 people were determined and the bodies of the victims were delivered to their families following post-mortem processes.
Over a dozen people, 13 or 14, are in critical condition, Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu said late Friday at an international health event in Istanbul.
“I hope we can succeed in helping them cling to life. All health officials are exerting every kind of efforts to do so,” Muezzinoglu said.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack, which targeted a peace rally at an intersection close to Ankara’s main train station on Oct. 10.
To date, the official death toll in the attack was 99. Hundreds were also wounded.
In addition, the statement said 13 suspects were still in custody as part of the investigation.
The office also called for patience for the result of the investigation and asked the public to “disregard speculative stories”.
The blasts have shaken Turkey as the country faces a general election re-run on Nov. 1, while counter-terrorism operations continue in the southeast and an ongoing civil war rages on along its southern border in Syria. (T/P010/R04)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)