SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Peace in Palestine = Peace in the World

ADVERTISEMENT

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Government Continues Efforts to Rescue Indonesians Sailors Taken Hostages

muhadjir - Friday, 8 September 2017 - 09:33 WIB

Friday, 8 September 2017 - 09:33 WIB

54 Views ã…¤

onesian Citizens Protection of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Lalu Muhammad Iqbal

Director of Indonesian Citizens Protection of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Lalu Muhammad Iqbal.

 

Jakarta, MINA – The Indonesian Government continued making every effort to rescue several Indonesian taken hostages by militant groups in the Philippines, Antara News quoted an official as saying here on Thursday.

Also Read: National Police Chief Apologizes for Accident Involving Online Motorcycle Taxi Drive

Director of Indonesian Citizens Protection of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Lalu Muhammad Iqbal said here on Thursday that seven Indonesians have been taken hostages in three different locations by three different groups.

Two out of the seven hostages were rescued on Thursday morning from Abu Sayyaf militant group in the Philippines.

As confirmed by Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi during her visit in Singapore earlier this afternoon, the two rescued Indonesians are Saparudin bin Koni and Syawal bin Maryam, who are both residents of Majene, West Sulawesi Province.

Saparudin and Syawal were crew members of a Malaysian fishing ship Madai II Kunak. They were abducted by Abu Sayyaf militant group on Nov 19 last year in Batu Lahat waters of Sabah, Malaysia.

Also Read: Tear Gas and Fire Erupt as Online Drivers Protest Police in Jakarta

Currently, the two have been shifted to the joint task force headquarters in Sulu for health checkup.

On Friday (Sept 8), the two Indonesians would be transferred to the Army Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

The Indonesian Consulate General in Davao City would meet the two Indonesians in Samboanga. They could then be returned home to Indonesia.

Therefore, five Indonesian remain as hostages of two other different groups, Iqbal said.

Also Read: Worker Protests Demands 8.5-10.5% Minimum Wage Increase for 2026

Iqbal revealed that two Indonesians, namely La Utu bin La Raali and La Hadi bin La Edi, both residents of Wakatobi, Southeast Sulawesi, were kidnapped on November 5, 2016 in Kretam waters, Kinabatangan, Sandakan, Sabah, Malaysia.

Meanwhile, three other Indonesians, namely Hamdan bin Saleng from Selayar Islands, South Sulawesi; Sudarling Samansung, also from Selayar Islands; and Subandi bin Sattu from Bulukumba, South Sulawesi, were taken hostages on January 18 2017 in Taganak waters of Sabah, Malaysia.

“The government continued making every effort to rescue them,” Iqbal said.

The militants reportedly held more than a dozen hostages as captives in Jolo and the nearby province of Basilan.  (T/RS5/RS1)

Also Read: Workers Rally at Empty Parliament as Lawmakers Told to Work From Home

Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)

 

Also Read: Tens of Thousands of Indonesian Workers to Stage Protest Across Jakarta

Recommendation for you

OIC meeting (photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Israeli Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir (photo: Anadolu Agency)
Palestine
Palestine
Indonesia
Ilustration of regrets (photo: Pixabay)
Articles
Co-chair of the conference, Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Faisal bin Farhan makes a speech during the three-day International Palestine Conference, led by France and Saudi Arabia and attended by Turkiye at the United Nations Trusteeship Council in New York, United States on July 28, 2025 (photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
The dead body of 11-month-old baby Zeyneb Abu Halib, who died due to malnutrition, is seen at the Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis, Gaza, on July 25, 2025. (Photo: Anadolu Agency)
Palestine
Israeli military aggression on Gaza (photo: Anadolu Agency)
Palestine
Indonesia
Extremist Settlers Storm Al-Aqsa Mosque Under Heavy Israeli Police Protection (photo: Palinfo)
Palestine