SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Peace in Palestine = Peace in the World

ADVERTISEMENT

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

U.S. BLAMES HOUTHI MOVES FOR RENEWED SAUDI STRIKES

Fauziah Al Hakim - Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 06:00 WIB

Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 06:00 WIB

187 Views ㅤ

Photo: Al Arabiya
Photo: Al Arabiya

Photo: Al Arabiya

New York, 9 Rajab 1436/28 April 2015 (MINA) – The United States squarely blamed Houthi militias on Monday (27/4) for renewed Saudi-led bombings, accusing them of using a relative lull in airstrikes meant to help set the stage for peace talks to instead pursue battlefield advances.

Saudi-led aircraft pounded Iran-allied Houthi militiamen and rebel army units on Monday, dashing hopes for a pause in fighting to let aid in as relief officials warned of a catastrophic humanitarian crisis, Al Arabiya News quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said he would discuss the conflict with Iran’s foreign minister later on Monday, adding: “I will certainly urge that everybody do their part to try to reduce the violence and allow the negotiations to begin.”

Kerry and other U.S. officials said Houthis had sought more gains since Riyadh’s announcement last week that it was ending its nearly five-week-old bombing campaign, except in places where the Houthis were advancing.

Also Read: US Airstrikes Target Multiple Locations in Yemen

“The Saudi shift was predicated on the notion that people would freeze in place,” Kerry told a news conference in New York.

“But what happened was the Houthi began to take advantage of the absence of air campaign, moving not only additionally on Aden, but moving in other parts of the country.”

Kerry and other U.S. officials said the Houthis were shifting artillery and forces and targeting certain elements of the Yemen army.

A coalition of Arab countries led by Saudi Arabia, rattled by what they saw as expanding Iranian influence in the Arabian Peninsula, is trying to stop Houthi militias and forces loyal to deposed leader Ali Abdullah Saleh taking control of Yemen.

Also Read: Over Two Million Israelis Seek Shelter as Missiles are Launched from Yemen

But the air campaign has had little success and vital aid has been reported held up by both sides. (T/P006/R04)

Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)

Also Read: Israeli Airstrikes on Lebanon Kill Seven People, Despite Ceasefire

Recommendation for you

America
President Prabowo Subianto performs Eid al-Fitr prayer (photo: Detikhikmah)
Indonesia
Rocket Fire from Yemen to Israel (photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Houthi Launches Hypersonic Missile to Israel's Ben Gurion Airport (Photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Many rockets, fired from Iran, are seen over Jerusalem from Hebron, West Bank on October 01, 2024 (photo: Anadolu Agency)
International