SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Peace in Palestine = Peace in the World

ADVERTISEMENT

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

ISRAELI FORCES SHOOT DEAD PALESTINIAN AT SOUTHERN NABLUS CHECKPOINT

Chamid Riyadi - Tuesday, 18 August 2015 - 07:17 WIB

Tuesday, 18 August 2015 - 07:17 WIB

144 Views ㅤ

Photo: Ma'an News Agency
Photo: Ma'an News Agency

Photo: Ma’an News Agency

Nablus, 3 Dhulqo’dah 1436/18August 2015 (MINA) –  Israeli troops shot dead a young Palestinian man in the northern West Bank on Monday after he allegedly attempted to stab an Israeli Border Police officer, the Israeli army said.

An Israeli army spokeswoman alleged that the Palestinian man approached Israeli Border Police officers at Tappuah junction, known to Palestinians as Zaatara military checkpoint, asking for “medical assistance.”

The spokeswoman said that he then pulled out a knife and attempted to stab an Israeli officer, Maan News Agency quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting.

She said that he struggled with the officer, before other officers opened fire on him.

Also Read: Israeli Forces Arrest Over 100 Palestinians in the Occupied West Bank

The spokeswoman confirmed that he had been killed. She added that the police officer was lightly injured.

Palestinian witnesses said that Israeli forces closed the checkpoint to traffic as large numbers of troops deployed in the area.

The Palestinian Red Crescent confirmed the death and said an ambulance had been prevented from approaching the area, which the army cordoned off before handing over the body in a military ambulance.

Palestinian security sources told Ma’an that the victim did not have an identity card on him.

Also Read: UN Adopts Resolutions Affirming Palestinian Rights

They said that Israeli forces took his body to a nearby military base in Huwwara.

They said that the body would be delivered to his family after he is identified.

Israeli forces on Saturday shot dead another Palestinian after he stabbed an Israeli Border Police officer near Beita in southern Nablus.

Rafeeq Kamil Rafeeq al-Taj, 21, was shot five times, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said.

Also Read: Israeli Forces Carry Out Bloody Massacre in Gaza, 20 Martyrs in Khan Yunis

Last week, Israeli media reported that the Israeli army had implemented new rules of engagement, requiring soldiers in the occupied Palestinian territory to hold their fire unless there is a genuine threat to their lives.

Previous rules allowed Israeli soldiers to use fire “warning shots” when their lives were not at imminent risk, and subsequently aim for lower extremities when engaging with Palestinians on the ground.

Since the beginning of 2015 Israeli forces have injured an average of 37 Palestinians a week, according to UN figures.

Israeli forces have killed at least 25 Palestinians since the start of the year. (T/P010/R03)

Also Read: Israel Accused of Using Food and Humanitarian Aid as Weapons in Gaza Crisis

Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)

=

Also Read: Israeli Occupation Army Expands Operations in Southern Gaza, Ignoring Warnings

Recommendation for you