Pretoria, 14 Shawwal 1435/10 August 2014 (MINA) – South African authorities have warned that they will prosecute nationals who serve in the Israeli military.
South Africa’s Defense Department said earlier this week that it has granted no permission to any South African citizen to take part in Israel’s military aggression against the besieged Gaza Strip, the Independent Online reported.
The official warning comes after Action Forum in Support of Palestine, a pro-Palestinian advocacy group, opened a case against a South African national for participating in the Israeli operation against Gaza, Press TV quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting, Saturday.
The group said it is now planning to similarly prosecute at least four other South Africans serving in the Israeli military.
This comes as the Israeli regime resumed its onslaught on the Gaza Strip on Friday after the expiry of a 72-hour truce between Tel Aviv and the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas.
More than 1,900 Palestinians, including more than 400 children, have been killed and over 9,500 others wounded since the Israeli military first launched its brutal military aggression against the blockaded coastal enclave on July 8.
According to a report, published by the Euro-Mid Observer for Human Rights last month, about 6,000 foreign mercenaries are currently fighting within the Israeli army.
Hamas officials also say they have killed a number of foreign soldiers operating alongside the Israeli army. (T/P012/E01)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)