Cairo, MINA – Egyptian and the United Nations (UN) officials on Tuesday night, November 12 pushed for a ceasefire between Israel and Gaza resistance groups, when Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad promised to step up attacks on the Jewish state.
The latest escalation throughout Tuesday was triggered by Israeli military air strikes against the Gaza Strip targeting senior Islamic Jihad commander, Bahaa Abu Al-Atta (42).
Israel killed Abu Al-Atta in the dawn attack on Tuesday, including his wife and two other citizens.
Egyptian officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Cairo was trying to reduce tensions between Israel and the insurgents.
The officials added Egypt’s General Intelligence Agency improved communications and “opened channels” with the UN and the European Union.
Last year, Egyptian General Intelligence Agency and the United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov were involved in an informal ceasefire effort between Israel and militant groups.
Diplomatic sources told the Times of Israel on Tuesday night, Mladenov was heading to Cairo.
The source added that international organizations have been involved throughout the day to reduce tensions between Israel and Gaza. (T/Sj/R04)
Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)