Kabul, 7 Jumadil Awwal 1436/26 February 2015 (MINA) – A bomb explodes near the Iranian Embassy in the diplomatic quarter in the center of the Afghan capital, Kabul, Press TV reports.
The blast occurred on Thursday outside the gate of the Iranian Embassy when a terrorist detonated his explosive-ridden vehicle, damaging a car of the Turkish Embassy, which is adjacent to the Iranian mission in the city.
Police said the blast targeted the Turkish Embassy car, adding that the attack killed two people, including a Turkish national and an Afghan passer-by, Press Tv quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting, Thursday.
Hashmat Stanekzai, a Kabul police spokesman, also confirmed the incident, saying that it took place “at the Sherpour crossroad near the Iranian Embassy.”
Following the blast, the Taliban militant group claimed responsibility for the attack in a message to media, saying the target was a “convoy of foreigners’ vehicles.”
Condemnation by Iran
Following the incident, Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham condemned the bomb attack near the Iranian Embassy in Kabul and said no Iranian diplomatic staff members have been harmed.
“All colleagues at the embassy are safe and sound, and no damage has been done to our country’s embassy as a result of the terrorist act,” Afkham said.
She also stressed the need to confront any act of terror in any country regardless of what individual or group is behind it. The Iranian official also said the roots of the evil phenomena of extremism and terrorism have to be investigated.
A similar car bomb attack was carried out near the airport in Kabul in January.
Earlier in February, at least 20 policemen were killed in an attack carried out by the Taliban militants against a police headquarters near Kabul.
The Afghan government is seeking to open a dialogue with the Taliban in the near future in the hope of ending their militancy across the country.
The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror. The offensive removed Taliban from power, but after more than 13 years, insecurity remains the order of the day across the country.
The US-led combat mission in Afghanistan ended on December 31, 2014. However, at least 13,500 foreign forces, mainly from the United States, have remained in the country in what the US is calling a support mission. Many civilians have lost their lives since the US-led invasion. (T/P002/P3)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)