Durban, South Africa, 2 Rajab 1436/21 April 2015 (MINA) – King Goodwill Zwelithini, the traditional leader of the Zulus, has asked for an end to the violence against foreigners that has plagued South Africa since the end of March.
Addressing about 6,000 people at the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban, at a gathering ,or imbizo, for peace, Zwelithini denied playing a role in sparking the violence against foreigners, but said he was open to an investigation from the Human Rights Commission over comments made in late last month.
The latest wave of xenophobic violence that began on March 30 in Durban, has been largely pinned on comments made by Zwelithini.
The Zulu king was accused of saying that foreigners needed to pack their bags and leave the country.
“People took what I said out of context. This is ludicrous and laughable,” Zwelithini said on Monday. “Many people have died. I have never killed anyone. I don’t know why i am being accused.”
Adding that all foreigners needed to be made secure, Zwelithini said: “The dignity of the Zulu people must be restored. There could be a third force behind this violence.” (T/P001/R03)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)