SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Peace in Palestine = Peace in the World

ADVERTISEMENT

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Trump Ignores Congress Objections Selling Arms to Saudi

sajadi - Sunday, 26 May 2019 - 21:10 WIB

Sunday, 26 May 2019 - 21:10 WIB

0 Views

Donald Trump has been blasted by his party for his open support of Saudi Arabia.

Washington, MINA – President of the United States (US) Donald Trump declared a national emergency due to tensions with Iran, as an excuse to ignore congress’s objections on Friday to complete weapons sales worth more than US $ 8 billion to Saudi Arabia, Uni United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Jordan.

Trump Government notifies Congress Committee that they will continue with 22 military sales to the three countries.

Trump’s decision angered politicians, Al Jazeera reported.

Members of Congress have blocked the sale of offensive military equipment to Saudi Arabia and the UAE for months. They were angry about the huge civilian casualties from the air operations of two Arab countries in Yemen, as well as occurrence of human rights violations.

Also Read: US Airstrikes Target Multiple Locations in Yemen

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday weapons sales were needed because delays could increase risks for US partners into instability caused by Iran.

“This sale will support our allies, improve Middle East stability, and help these countries to deter and defend themselves from Islamic Republic of Iran,” Pompeo said in a statement.

Several Congressional politicians and aides have warned earlier this week that Trump is considering using a loophole in the arms control law to resume sales by declaring a national emergency.

The US arms control law allows Congress to reject the sale of weapons to foreign countries.

Also Read: Over Two Million Israelis Seek Shelter as Missiles are Launched from Yemen

However, exceptions to the law allow the president to override the need for Congressional approval by declaring a national security emergency. (T/Sj/R04)

Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)

Also Read: Israeli Airstrikes on Lebanon Kill Seven People, Despite Ceasefire

Recommendation for you

Houthi Launches Hypersonic Missile to Israel's Ben Gurion Airport (Photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Indonesia
America