Nablus, 14 Jumadal Awwal 1436/5 March 2015 (MINA) – Israeli forces imposed strict security restrictions on the southern and eastern entrances of Nablus on Wednesday, witnesses told Ma’an.
The restrictions followed a shooting incident in which an Israeli military vehicle was targeted near Qalqiliya.
Locals told Ma’an that Israeli forces set up checkpoints at the entrance to Yitzhar settlement and closed the Huwwara checkpoint, Ma’an News Agency quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting.
A Ma’an reporter said that an Israeli helicopter flew above Nablus and Israeli forces carried out searches in the area.
No detentions were reported.
Additionally, several Israeli settlers from the Elon Moreh settlement threw rocks at Palestinian vehicles on the Beit Furik-Beit Dajan road in eastern Nablus, damaging several, Ghassan Daghlas, an official who monitors settlement activity in the northern West Bank, said
The road had been opened by Israeli forces for the first time after being closed for nine years.
Settlers routinely carry out acts of violence against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, but are rarely held accountable. In 2014, there were at least 329 incidents of settler violence against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, according to the UN.
More than 500,000 Israeli settlers live in settlements across the West Bank and East Jerusalem, in contravention of international law. (T/P010/P3)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)