Gaza, 12 Ramadan 1435/10 July 2014 (MINA) – The president of the Palestinian national unity government, Mahmoud Abbas, has accused Israel of committing genocide in the besieged Gaza Strip.
“It’s genocide. The killing of entire families is genocide by Israel against our Palestinian people,” Abbas said on Wednesday, Press Tv quoted by Mi’raj News Agency (MINA), as reporting, Thursday.
“We know that Israel is not defending itself, it is defending settlements, its main project.”
The accusation came after Israel stepped up its aggression against Gaza.
Also on Wednesday, the national unity government said in a statement that “the Palestinian people have the right to defend themselves against savage aggression [by Israel] using all means guaranteed by international conventions to people under occupation.”
Meanwhile, the United Nations Security Council is set to hold an emergency meeting over the Israeli aggression towards Palestinians on Thursday.
At least 70 people have been killed and many others, including women and children, wounded by the new wave of Israeli aggression.
Israel’s military spokesman General Moti Almoz said on Wednesday that “a total of about 430 targets” had been attacked over the past two days.
Over 160 Palestinians, including women and children, were killed and about 1,200 others were injured in Israel’s eight-day offensive on the coastal enclave, which ended on November 21, 2012. (T/P012/E01)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)