Riyadh, 29 Jumadil Akhir 1436/18 April 2015 (MINA) – Saudi Arabia, which is leading a three-week-old air campaign against Houthi fighters in Yemen, has announced $274m in humanitarian aid for the Arabian Peninsula nation.
The pledge, which the official SPA news agency said was ordered by King Salman, followed a UN appeal Friday for $274m to provide emergency assistance to the millions affected by the conflict.
“Ordinary families are struggling to access healthcare, water, food and fuel – basic requirements for their survival,” Johannes Van Der Klaauw, the UN humanitarian coordinator, said.
The World Health Organisation, in a new toll, says 767 people have died in Yemen’s war since March 19 and more than 2,900 have been wounded. The majority have been civilians, Al Jazeera quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting.
The UN says thousands of families have fled their homes due to the war, which has also killed six Saudi security personnel in border skirmishes.
Brigadier-General Ahmed al-Assiri, the coalition spokesperson, said on Friday that “from this afternoon we have started operations in Taez”.
Speaking in Riyadh, he said there had been 100 sorties in Yemen on Thursday, indicating there is no end in sight to the operation.
“This works needs patience, persistence and precision,” he said.
“We are not in a hurry … We have the time and we have the capabilities.” (T/P001/P3)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)