Jakarta, 29 Sha’ban 1438/26 May 2017 (MINA) – The twin bomb explosions that struck the Kampung Melayu Transjakarta bus terminal on Wednesday night (May 24) will not reduce foreign investor confidence and not affect the stability of the rupiah.
“Investors and various stakeholders have been able to understand the true condition of Indonesias economic fundamentals that continue to improve,” Antara News quoted Governor of Bank Indonesia Agus Martowardojo as saying here on Friday.
“The rupiah exchange rate is stable. In Indonesia, the economic aspects can be kept apart from the political ones,” he remarked.
Nevertheless, he expressed optimism that the security condition would return to normal.
The Indonesian Police had earlier confirmed that five people comprising three police officers and two suspected suicide bombers were killed in twin bomb blasts on Wednesday evening.
Inspector General Setyo Wasisto, spokesman of the Police Headquarters, revealed here on Thursday that 11 people comprising six police officers and five civilians were injured in the bomb attack.
The five civilians were drivers of public vehicles, two female university students, and an employee of a state enterprise.
The victims were rushed to the Premier Jatinegara Hospital, Said Sukant Kramat Jati Police Hospital, Budi Asih Hospital, and Hermina Hospital that were located nearby.
The two bombs exploded respectively at 9 p.m. and 9:05 p.m. local time.
The dead and injured police officers were on duty to guard a group of people who were holding a torch parade welcoming the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan. The procession had not yet passed by when the blasts occurred.
Jokowi expresses deep condolences
Meanwhile, President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) has instructed Chief of the National Police General Tito Karnavian to quell the network of the suicide bombers.
“I have ordered the National Police chief to totally crush the network of the perpetrators. We have instructed to quell it until its roots,” he stated at his private residence, in Solo, Central Java, on Thursday.
The president also expressed his condolences to the victims and families of the suicide bombing.
“I convey (my) deep condolences to the victims and their families, including those still in hospital and dead, particularly the police officers on duty,” Jokowi stated.
Jakarta’s Governor-elect Anies Baswedan also expressed his sympathy and condolences to the victims of the suicide bomb attack. “We convey our deep deep condolences,” Baswedan remarked.
He also condemned the terror attack that led to the deaths of three police officers and injured 10 others comprising five police personnel and five civilians.
“I strongly deplore it,” he said, adding that terror attacks on any location cannot be tolerated. He called on every citizen of Jakarta to remain calm and to help maintain security and unity. (T/RS5/RS1)
Mi’raj IslamicNews Agency (MINA)