New York, 4 Syawal 1435/31 July 2014 (MINA) – United Nations (UN) Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned Israel’s attack on an UN-administered school that killed 15 people.
In a statement on Wednesday, Ban said the attack on the UN school, which was acting as a shelter for displaced civilians, was “cruel” and “senseless.” He reiterated his call for an immediate ceasefire, Anadolu Agency quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting, Thursday.
“Nothing is more shameful than attacking sleeping children,’’ Ban said. “I condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. It is outrageous. It is unjustifiable. And it demands accountability and justice.”
Ban said he wanted to make it clear that the precise location of Jabalia Elementary Girls School had been communicated to the Israeli military authorities 17 times – as recently as a few hours before the attack.
More than 1,300 people have been killed in the offensive, now in its fourth week. The United Nations is hosting 140,000 displaced persons in UN facilities, including schools.
The UN Deputy Secretary General Jan Eliasson also said he was “shocked” and “appalled” by the attacks.
UN Humanitarian Operations Director John Ging said the school had been targeted five times since the conflict began.
Two people were killed on Tuesday by Israeli shelling of a United Nations Relief and Works Agency car in the northern part of the Gaza Strip, a Palestinian Health Ministry official said.
“The shelling left medical doctor Bashir al-Haggar dead along with his brother, Samir,” Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qodra told.
Al-Qodra said earlier that ten Palestinians were killed by Israeli strikes on the northern Gaza Strip Jabalia camp.
United Nations personnel and Gaza’s medical staff are proving not immune to Israeli strikes as Israel’s shelling of the Gaza Strip, on that has been ongoing since July 7, has targeted these categories too.
Since July 7, Israel has pounded the Gaza Strip with fierce aerial bombardments with the ostensible aim of halting rocket fire from the strip, leaving 1216 people dead and more than 7000 others injured. (T/P012)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)