SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Peace in Palestine = Peace in the World

ADVERTISEMENT

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

UNSC CALLS ON SAUDI ARABIA TO LIFT YEMEN BLOCKADE

kurnia - Friday, 26 June 2015 - 13:49 WIB

Friday, 26 June 2015 - 13:49 WIB

265 Views ㅤ

UNSC calls on Saudi Arabia to lift Yemen blockade (Photo : Press Tv)
<a href=

UNSC calls on Saudi Arabia to lift Yemen blockade (Photo : Press Tv)" width="300" height="169" /> UNSC calls on Saudi Arabia to lift Yemen blockade (Photo : Press Tv)

Sana’a, 9 Ramadan 1436/26 June 2015 (MINA) – The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has urged Saudi Arabia to lift its blockade on Yemen.

The UNSC released a unanimous statement on Thursday, stressing that ships carrying food, fuel and other vital supplies must be permitted to enter ports in Yemen which is on the brink of famine.

The 15-member council said in its statement that there is “an urgent need for ongoing commercial supplies to enter Yemen as a humanitarian imperative.” Press Tv reports as quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA).

Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the UN envoy for Yemen, had earlier called for an immediate ceasefire in Yemen, saying that some 21 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance and one million people have been displaced in the fighting in the country.

Also Read: US Airstrikes Target Multiple Locations in Yemen

“We are one step away from famine,” the UN envoy said, adding, “We want to really find a way to lessen the suffering of the population.”

Saudi Arabia has imposed an aerial and naval blockade on Yemen amid its airstrikes on the impoverished Arab country.

“It’s vital that we get commercial ships back in,” said UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Stephen O’Brien.

The World Health Organization has also warned that more than 15 million people in Yemen do not have access to basic health services.

Also Read: Over Two Million Israelis Seek Shelter as Missiles are Launched from Yemen

Saudi Arabia has been carrying out airstrikes against Yemen since March 26 without the authorization of the UN in an attempt to weaken Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the country’s former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.

The UN says at least 2,600 people have been killed and 11,000 others wounded due to the conflict in Yemen since March 19. (T/P002/NMT)

Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)

Also Read: Israeli Airstrikes on Lebanon Kill Seven People, Despite Ceasefire

Recommendation for you

President Prabowo Subianto performs Eid al-Fitr prayer (photo: Detikhikmah)
Indonesia
Rocket Fire from Yemen to Israel (photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Houthi Launches Hypersonic Missile to Israel's Ben Gurion Airport (Photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Many rockets, fired from Iran, are seen over Jerusalem from Hebron, West Bank on October 01, 2024 (photo: Anadolu Agency)
International
Victims of Israeli attacks on Gaza (photo: Anadolu Agency)
Indonesia