Manila, Philippines, MINA – President Rodrigo Duterte is seeking a one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao as government forces continue to track down terrorists who survived the Marawi crisis, Philstar reported.
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said a letter requesting the extension of the military rule on the island would be transmitted on Monday to Congress.
“Recommendation is one year,” Medialdea said in a text message Sunday.
In a statement earlier on Sunday, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte had received the recommendations of the Defense department, Armed Forces of the Philippines and Philippine National Police on the extension of martial law in Mindanao, which was declared on May 23 in response to attacks by terrorists of the Maute and Abu Sayyaf groups on Marawi City in Lanao del Norte.
Although Marawi was declared liberated last October, clearing operations in the main battle area continue and officials have said threats remain in Mindanao. (T/RS5/RS1)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)