Kabul, 22 Dzulqa’dah 1435/17 September 2014 (MINA) – Afghanistan has experienced its bloodiest and deadliest year since the Taliban regime toppled by US-led coalition forces in late 2001, an Afghan official has said.
Afghan Defense Minister, Bismellah Mohammadi, said on Tuesday that Afghan forces, civilians and even Taliban militants had faced their deadliest era in the past six months, as militants launched attacks, Anadolu Agency quoted by Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA) as reporting.
After being summoned to the upper house for questioning, along with Interior Minister Mohammad Omar Daoudzai, about the insurgency in the country, Mohammadi told senators: “Afghan forces were able to repel massive and coordinated attacks by Taliban militants, despite a lack of support from NATO troops.
“We have taken more responsibilities as the number of coalition forces have gradually decreased from 145,000 last year to 33,000 this year, putting the load of war on the shoulder of the Afghan forces and pushing them to lead.”
Afghan Interior Minister told the Afghan senate: “It was bloodiest year for both sides. We have lost 1,523 policemen in the past six months in different incidents, and more than 2,500 others were wounded.
“Most importantly, around 1,000 civilians lost their precious lives following militant attacks, roadside bombings and other insurgency related activities in the same period while more than 2,300 others were injured.”
“In the meantime, the Taliban has suffered seriously during the same period by losing more than 5,500 of their members and more than 2,300 others have been wounded.”
Doudzai called on the international community to strengthen the Afghan national security forces by providing modern weapons and an air force.
The Taliban had not had any remarkable success, despite spreading insurgency all over the country, he said. (T/P001/R03)
Mi’raj Islamic News Agency (MINA)