Cairo, MINA – Arab League’s Foreign Ministers on Tuesday strongly condemned the statement of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu who would annex Jordan Valley, it is a dangerous development.
“Netanyahu’s new plan will undermine opportunities for progress in the peace process,” the Arab League statement said after an extraordinary meeting in Cairo to discuss the latest announcement from Israeli leaders, MEMO reported.
The decision will destroy all the foundations of peace settlement with Palestine, the statement added.
Netanyahu said Israel would impose its sovereignty over Jordan Valley and other settlements in the occupied West Bank if he wins elections next week.
About 70,000 Palestinians, along with 9,500 Jewish settlers, currently live in Jordan Valley, a fertile region, which is a quarter of the West Bank.
Israel claims the valley is important to its security and rejects the idea of giving up its share in any settlement with Palestine.
Earlier this month, Netanyahu renewed a pledge to annex all settlement blocks in the occupied West Bank.
“With God’s help, we will apply Jewish sovereignty in all settlements, as part of the land of Israel and as part of state of Israel,” he said.
About 650,000 Israeli Jews currently live in more than 100 settlements built since 1967, when Israel occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Palestine wants this region, along with the Gaza Strip, to establish a Palestinian state in the future.
International law views the West Bank and East Jerusalem as “occupied territories” and considers all activities of building Jewish settlements there illegal. (T/Sj/P2)
Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)