SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Peace in Palestine = Peace in the World

ADVERTISEMENT

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

ICJ Request Israel to Provide Information about Gaza Evacuation Zones 

sajadi - Saturday, 18 May 2024 - 05:38 WIB

Saturday, 18 May 2024 - 05:38 WIB

2 Views

The International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the UN, holds public hearings on the request for the indication of provisional measures submitted by South Africa in the case South Africa v. Israel on 11 and 12 January 2024, at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the seat of the Court. Session held under the presidency of Judge Joan E. Donoghue, President of the Court. The Court’s role is to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States and to give advisory opinions on legal questions referred to it by authorized UN organs and agencies.

The Hague, MINA – The two-day hearing at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ended on Friday with the court’s request from Israel to provide information about the existing humanitarian conditions in the designated evacuation zones in the Gaza Strip, Anadolu Agency reports.

The second day of the hearing was held in The Hague with Israel’s defense to South Africa’s urgent appeal, seeking additional provisional measures against Israel.

During opening remarks, Israeli representative Gilad Noam said that the notification of the hearing “came as a great surprise,” adding that although Israel asked that the hearing be rescheduled to next week, it was rejected.

Claiming that Israel has worked “diligently to enable the protection of civilians,” Noam said it is Israel’s “right and obligation to defend” its citizens.

Also Read: Israel Accused of Using Food and Humanitarian Aid as Weapons in Gaza Crisis

For her part, Tamar Kaplan Tourgeman, the principal deputy legal adviser at the Israeli Foreign Ministry, argued that Israel did not close southern Gaza’s two main crossings, Rafah and Kerem Shalom border crossings.

“This is blatantly untrue,” said Tourgeman, claiming that Israel allows and facilitates the provision of more humanitarian aid.

Concluding, Tourgeman asked the court to reject South Africa’s request for provisional measures: “The State of Israel requests the court to reject the request for the modification and indication of provisional measures submitted by the Republic of South Africa.”

As Tourgeman delivered the statement, someone inside the court shouted “liar,” and feed was cut but returned a few moments later.

Also Read: Israeli Occupation Army Expands Operations in Southern Gaza, Ignoring Warnings

Before closing the hearing, the ICJ has put a question to the Israeli delegation about the humanitarian situation in evacuation zones in the besieged enclave.

“Can Israel provide information about the existing humanitarian conditions in the designated evacuation zones, in particular al-Mawasi, and how it would ensure safe passage to these zones, as well as the provision of shelter, food, water, and other humanitarian aid and assistance to all evacuees that are and can be expected to arrive in these zones?” read Judge Georg Nolte.

South Africa on Thursday requested an order to end Israel’s Gaza offensive at the ICJ as the country seeks additional provisional measures against Israel.

The South African delegation pointed to “willful breaches” by Israel against the court’s binding orders. The delegation said South Africa was compelled to return to the court due to the “continuing annihilation of the Palestinian people.”

Also Read: Israeli Airstrikes Target Damascus Countryside Amid Escalating Tensions

South Africa filed an “urgent request” last Friday with the ICJ for additional measures amid Israel’s attacks on Gaza, particularly in the city of Rafah, where more than 1.4 million Palestinians are taking shelter.

“In its new request, South Africa states that the provisional measures previously indicated by the Court are not capable of ‘fully address(ing)’ the changed circumstances and new facts on which (its) Request is founded,” the ICJ said in a statement. (T/RE1/P2)

Mi’raj News Agency (MINA)

Also Read: Jewish Settlers Desecrate Aqsa Mosque Amid Tight Restrictions on Muslim Worshipers

TagICJ

Recommendation for you

Two Palestinian Journalists Killed in Israeli Airstrikes (photo: Anadolu Agency)
Palestine
Palestine
Families of Israeli Hostages Call for Immediate Swap Deal after Hamas Releases Video (photo: Anadolu Agency)
Palestine
Asia